This week’s edition includes some easy ways to make a difference with social media, a look at how video conferencing technology is improving education, some new social strategies for businesses of any size, and much more.
- Dear Foursquare: This Is Not the Right Time to Sell The location-based network’s extraordinary growth and buzz have caught the eye of Internet heavyweights, notably Yahoo. But if the Foursquare team aims to be a worldwide game-changer like Facebook and Twitter before them, it may be wise to forego the big pay day and keep on truckin’.
- 9 Ways to Do Good With 5 Minutes or $25 Social media makes it easier than ever to make a difference. Whether you can donate a little bit of time, or a little bit of money, check out these easy ways to contribute on the web or on your phone.
- How Social Media Can Effect Real Social and Governmental Change Transparency, open APIs, and free-flowing information are just a few of the ways societies and governments can be improved. This post discusses some important social media campaigns that have made a difference.
- 4 Tips for Tapping Into Twitter Conversations Twitter is so much more than just sending updates and links into the void — it’s the world’s real-time conversation. If you want to take part, heed the advice in this post.
- Exclusive: Tour the “If I Can Dream” Command Center [VIDEO] The interesting new reality/online video hybrid show “If I Can Dream” hit the web on March 2nd, and its impressive production and technical values have turned more than a few heads. This exclusive tour of the show’s HQ sheds some insight on the unique experiment.
- 5 More Ways to Go Green for Earth Day Earth Day may have come and gone, but that doesn’t mean you’re off the environmental awareness hook. Explore these social strategies for going green any time of year.
- How Social Media Helped Travelers During the Iceland Volcano Eruption The Icelandic volcano eruption cost millions in airline revenue and left thousands stranded, but it may have opened new windows of communication. See how travelers and airlines took advantage of social channels to relay vital information that call centers and websites could not.
Tech & Mobile
- HOW TO: Give Your iPhone a Spring Clean With so many tempting apps available for download, it’s easy for your iPhone to get cluttered. Well spring is here, and it’s time to organize your mobile life. Check these tips on streamlining your beloved handheld.
- 5 Ways Classrooms Can Use Video Conferencing Web-based video chat has allowed students to connect with a world of experts and curricula that were previously unavailable. Take a look at these five examples of high-tech education in action.
- 10 Free iPhone Apps to Help You Go Green for Earth Day Environmentalism doesn’t stop at your desktop. Staying green on the go can be a little bit easier with these 10 resourceful iPhone apps.
- 10 Excellent Examples of Recycled Gadgetry If you’re all about gadget-themed decor and apparel (and who isn’t really?), you won’t want to miss these awesome products, built from the circuits and wires of yesterday’s tech.
- For more tech news and resources, you can follow Mashable’s tech channel on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
- Why It’s More Important Than Ever To Be an Early Adopter Brand If your business aims to compete at the speed of social media, it’s critical that you be ahead of the curve on the latest trends. This post discusses why.
- HOW TO: Reignite Your Business Network Online Without a viable network, your business probably wouldn’t be successful. If that old Rolodex or business card pile is growing stale, here are some tips for reconnecting online.
- How Recruiters are Using Social Media for Real Results Social media has opened up a whole new channel for recruiters to scout. Here are some tips from the pros who have landed great candidates from the social web.
- How Companies Can Use Sentiment Analysis to Improve Their Business What are people saying about your brand on the web? Is it good or bad? How bad should it get before you intervene? These questions can be answered by employing a sentiment analysis strategy.
- 5 Unique Ways to Use Twitter for Business Contests, customer service, recruiting — it’s all been done on Twitter. If your business is looking for some fresh ideas, be sure to check in here.
- 8 Social Media Strategies to Engage Multicultural Consumers The purchasing power of multicultural consumers is growing exponentially. If you want to reach them, you need to understand how to connect. This post has some tips on using social media to do so.
- 5 Masterminds That Have Redefined Startup Life Along the road of Internet entrepreneurship, there have been thought leaders who took risks, and changed the game for everyone. Check out these five profiles of some of the most influential minds in tech business.
- Why Retention Should Be Your Top Priority in Social Media Marketing If your business model hinges only on how virally your product is shared, you may be missing the bigger picture. For long-term sustainability, customer retention is key.
- Top 10 YouTube Tips for Small Businesses YouTube is a too-often neglected channel for promoting your business. Because it’s free and has incredible reach, it’s the perfect platform for small businesses to set up shop. Here are 10 best practices to note while exploring your web video strategy.
- HOW TO: Add Blogger Outreach to Your PR Plan The opinions of bloggers reach far and wide, making them a great vehicle for your brand. If you haven’t added blogger outreach to your PR arsenal, read these tips for best results.