So kick back, relax, and dedicate some weekend catch-up time to these 20 resources that may have passed you by.
- 5 Ways Facebook Changed Dating (For the Worse) Facebook is a fabulous way to stay connected, share, and build a business. But when it comes to dating, the social network just makes things complicated. Here are some reasons why it may be best not to entangle romance in your social media lifestyle.
- HOW TO: Create Free Music Playlists Online The only thing better than listening to music online is sharing it. We’ve highlighted some of the best services that let you gather and spread your musical tastes on the web, all for free.
- 10 Fantastic Photoshop Tutorials on YouTube If you’ve always wanted to get a handle on Photoshop, even just the basics, video demonstrations are an excellent resource. There are so many good (and not so good) screencasts available on YouTube (). We’ve highlighted some of the best at every skill level.
- How Journalists are Using Social Media for Real Results There’s no question that social media has dramatically changed the way we report and consume the news. From exclusive Twitpics to breaking stories, we spoke with professional journalists about how they’re using the social web to hone their craft.
- 5 Tips for Creating the Perfect Profile Pic Your face is your brand on the social web. As in person, if you don’t make a good first impression, you may be forfeiting a lasting connection. We checked in with some socially-savvy designers for some easy ways to land a killer social media mug.
- 12 Chatroulette Clones You Should Try The viral success of Chatroulette has sparked numerous clones and parodies hoping to snag onto a coat tail or two. Here are 12 that we found particularly noteworthy.
- Why Banning Social Media Often Backfires Whether in schools, the workplace, or by governmental decree, the effects of banning social media are usually the same — people work extra hard to get around it, and often succeed. This post discusses why resources are better spent fostering constructive social network use.
- HOW TO: Prevent and Report Online Stalking When so much of our day-to-day lives are lived online, the threat of online stalking is an important concern. Here are some easy ways to prevent it from happening, and to report it if you feel you may be a victim.
- 5 Ways to Reduce Social Media Distractions and Be More Productive Even the casual social media user lives in a world of constant inbox and feed bombardment. Here are some tips on avoiding the “reactionary” workflow, and taking charge of your social productivity.
- HOW TO: Maximize Your Content’s Reach on the Social Web For online publishers, it’s no longer a one-destination world. To compete on the social web, content producers need to target their audience’s streams across a variety of networks. This post outlines some important strategies.
- HOW TO: Boost Your SEO with a YouTube Channel While many still focus on the content of their websites, YouTube is an excellent way to push your brand to the top of search results. Check out these tips for maximizing video SEO and driving traffic from your YouTube channel.
Tech & Mobile
- 10 Amazing Musical Instrument iPhone Apps The iPhone has some truly outstanding musical instrument offerings, many of which rival their physical counterparts. Here are 10 that really shine.
- 10 Great iPhone Apps for Growing a Garden Spring is finally here, and that means planting season. The iPhone, equipped with the right apps of course, can be a handy reference tool for green thumbs. Check out these 10 apps that can aid your ailing zucchini and plump your tomatoes.
- 5 Amazing Android Apps for Baseball Fans Baseball season is upon us. If you’re a stats nut or a die-hard fan, queue up America’s pastime on your Android device with these five apps, and never miss a pitch.
- 8 of the Best Chrome Extensions for Web Designers Web designers use an arsenal of tools to calculate the perfect color and get their graphics in gear. When those tools are built right into the browser, all the better. We tapped the pros to find out which Chrome extensions are their favorites.
- 4 Key Web Developer Community Resources From the Internet’s earliest days, programmers would congregate in chat rooms and on forums to ask questions, swap code, and brag about their latest software masterpieces. The modern social web has only made these communities stronger. Here are some of the hot spots that any serious programmer should have on his or her radar.
- Six Twitter App Models That Stand a Chance Twitter’s first-ever developer conference, Chirp, saw a flurry of ideas change hands as leading app developers discussed the future of interfacing with the social network. Here are six compelling app models that could change the way we use Twitter in the near future.
- How Companies Should Approach the New Twitter Advertising Model Twitter’s paid tweets in search recently went live, marking the maturation of a social network that has yet to generate any real profit. This post discusses why Twitter’s monetization must remain social to succeed.
- HOW TO: Target Social Media Influencers to Boost Traffic and Sales Research suggests that it’s not the number of followers or fans you accumulate that’s important, but how influential they are. Here are some tips on how to identify and connect with powerful social media users who can benefit your brand.
- 5 Ways For Small Companies To Better Engage Reporters Social media makes it possible for small companies to get press without hiring expensive PR representatives. This post delves into some key strategies.